All excerpted posts are © the original author. Please consult their blog for the full story and to comment.

rampant

Friday 12 September 2014

Vaccine Injury Stories: the Sacred Cows of the Internet? Voices For Vaccines

When I first started looking into vaccines, I had no idea that an anti-vaccine movement even existed. I came across claims that the vaccines were toxic and dangerous; the diseases, it was claimed, were not. I have some background in science, so I was able to dismiss those claims as inaccurate, but I couldn’t help but be drawn in by tragic, angry and deeply personal stories from parents who claimed their children were harmed by vaccines.

I dared not question them, but I still couldn’t understand…

If vaccine injuries were occurring on a scale like this, why wasn’t anybody doing anything about it? And why wasn’t the media reporting on them? 

I wanted to know more about these vaccine injury stories but worried it would be insensitive to probe or question their accuracy. I could hurt their feelings or worse, insult their child’s memory. After all, while I know what it feels like when my child is very sick, I can only imagine what it might feel like to lose a child...

Read the rest here: Vaccine Injury Stories: the Sacred Cows of the Internet? Voices For Vaccines