All excerpted posts are © the original author. Please consult their blog for the full story and to comment.

rampant

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Where is the line between meaningless and unethical research? | Edzard Ernst

This is a question which I have asked myself more often than I care to remember. The reason is probably that, in alternative medicine, I feel surrounded by so much dodgy research that I simply cannot avoid asking it.

In particular, the co-called ‘pragmatic’ trials which are so much ‘en vogue’ at present are, in my view, a reason for concern. Take a study of cancer patients, for instance, where one group is randomized to get the usual treatments and care, while the experimental group receives the same and several alternative treatments in addition […]

Read on: Where is the line between meaningless and unethical research?